Bug Bites & Spider Bites
Whether you are working in the garden or in the attic, bug and spider bites are a very real risk, and many times, you never see the culprit. In most cases, you may experience minor swelling, redness, pain and itching, but this will typically be mild and clear up on its own within a few hours or days with home treatment.
- Severe allergic reaction (anaphylaxis), including shock, coughing, wheezing, trouble breathing, swelling of the lips, tongue, ears, eyelids, hands, feet and mucous membranes, lightheaded-ness, and hives.
In the event of a severe reaction, visit an emergency room immediately.
- Toxic reaction from a single bite from an insect or spider (black widow spider, brown recluse spider, scorpion, or puss caterpillar/wooly slug)
- Toxic reaction from multiple stings or bites from a bee, wasp, or fire ant.
- Large skin reaction with swelling and redness that spreads away from the bite or sting. This could extend over a large area of two major joints, such as from the elbow to the shoulder.
- A skin infection at the site of the bite or sting
- Viral infection, such as West Nile Virus which can cause inflammation of the brain
- Parasite infection
If you are experiencing any symptoms from a bug bite or spider bite as described in the list, or if you aren’t quite sure of its need for treatment, Midwest Express Clinic can help. Our urgent care locations are open seven days a week.