PINK EYE TREATMENT
Is Pink Eye worth a trip to Midwest Express Care Clinic?
Yes! Conjunctivitis, more commonly known as Pink Eye, is highly contagious, which is why it is important to see a medical provider as soon as symptoms show up so treatment can begin. If you have touched the infected area around your eye, it can easily be passed to another person.
Pink Eye can be viral or bacterial. Both types can begin in one eye and spread to the other one. A viral eye infection is often the result of a cold or sinusitis. A bacterial eye infection can occur when a person is exposed to a contaminated surface.
What are the signs and symptoms of Pink Eye?
- Eye swelling accompanied with yellow or gray discharge
- Crust along the eyelash line
- Sensitivity to light
- Eye redness and itchiness
- An increase in tear production
Go to an emergency room immediately if you are experiencing any of the following:
- A puncture wound to the eye
- Detached retina
- Loss of sight
- Toxic chemicals in the eye
The good news is that with prompt treatment, Pink Eye will clear up rather quickly. Upon examination, a medical practitioner at Midwest Express Care Clinic may prescribe an antibiotic eye drop treatment. A steroid eye drop may also be prescribed to reduce conjunctivitis related inflammation. We also recommend using a warm water treatment to remove any pus or crusts from your eye as a result of the infection.
If you wear contact lenses as prescribed by your eye-care provider, we will encourage you to stop using them and wear your prescriptive glasses until the infection has cleared.
To prevent eye infections such as Pink Eye:
- Do not touch or rub your eye, especially without first washing your hands
- Avoid sharing makeup, especially eye makeup and brushes
- Avoid close contact with people diagnosed with conjunctivitis
- Never use eye medicine that is not prescribed to you
We are conveniently located in Blue Island, IL.; Willowbrook, IL.; Schererville, IN.; Munster, IN; & Hammond, IN. We are open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; no appointment is necessary.
*Our Hammond location is currently open Mon-Fri from 9:00 am – 7:00 pm