Muscle aches, body chills, a runny nose, headaches, fever and fatigue, cough, nausea, or stomach pains are common symptoms of the flu.
The flu, also known as influenza, is a highly contagious respiratory sickness caused by a virus. The flu does not take sympathy on anyone and can come on strong and without warning. Recovery from influenza can take from 48 hours to several weeks. It is important to seek treatment from a medical practitioner at Midwest Express Clinic if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms:
- Fever or body chills similar to when a fever is present
- Sore throat
- Excessive vomiting or diarrhea
- Stuffy or runny nose
While you may not experience all the above symptoms, it is important to note that a fever does not need to be present to have the flu.
What type of flu treatment is available?
When you visit Midwest Express Clinic, we may treat your influenza with an antiviral prescription. Prescriptions used to treat the flu often work faster, can help lessen the severity of the symptoms and shorten the duration of your illness by several days.
What are some at-home remedies for flu treatment?
If you are interested in trying to self-treat for your flu symptoms, we recommend:
- Sleep – Take naps throughout day and be sure you can get at least eight hours of sleep per night.
- Hydration – Water is going to be your best friend. If you cannot stomach water, try something with a bit more flavor such as fruit juice or a sports drink. You can even stay hydrated by eating popsicles.
- Broth – Stick with simple foods that are easy on the stomach. Broth from chicken noodle soup is a great start.
- Medications – Depending on your symptoms you, we recommend Tylenol or ibuprofen, decongestants and/or cough medicines.
Who is more at risk for more severe flu virus symptoms?
Pregnant women, young children, people suffering from a chronic medical illness and adults 65 or older are among the groups at higher risk of complications from the flu. For example: a person with a lung disease may develop pneumonia quicker and easier than someone who does not have a lung disease.
Our walk-in clinics are conveniently located in Blue Island, IL; Willowbrook, IL; Bradley, IL; Schererville, IN; Munster, IN; & Hammond, IN. We are open seven days a week from 9:00am to 9:00 pm; no appointment is necessary.
*Our Bradley, IL location is open Monday – Friday from 9:00am – 5:00pm.