Hemorrhoid Causes & Treatment
If you suffer from constant straining during bowel movements or often lift heavy weights, you may find yourself with swollen and inflamed veins and tissues in the lower rectum and anus. This is known as hemorrhoids or piles. Though bowel movements and heavy lifting are the most common causes of hemorrhoids, a variety of factors such as obesity, pregnancy, constipation and diarrhea can lead to this discomfort. There are two types of hemorrhoids: internal and external.
An external hemorrhoid is located around the anus. These sometimes bleed if the engorged veins are scratched or broken by straining, wiping or rubbing too hard. External hemorrhoids are often the most painful. Internal hemorrhoids are in the rectum and can cause pain and itching if it becomes prolapsed.
What causes hemorrhoids?
Hemorrhoids occur when too much pressure is applied to the veins. The most common causes that result in too much pressure are:
- Constipation: When you strain too much to try and pass a bowel movement.
- Time: Waiting too long to use the restroom, sitting too long on the toilet or even sitting for too long throughout the day.
- Bodily functions: Sneezing or coughing often.
What are their symptoms?
- Swelling of the anus
- Irritation and/or discomfort around the anus
- Presence of blood during a bowel movement
- A painful lump or bump around the anus
What treatment is available?
It is important to seek care from a medical professional if you believe you have hemorrhoids, as he or she will be able to determine whether it is indeed a hemorrhoid or something more serious such as a polyp or inflammatory bowel disease. If a medical provider from Midwest Express Clinic urgent care has determined you have a hemorrhoid, treatment may include:
- A high fiber diet–this helps prevent constipation.
- Plenty of fluids–this helps to soften the stool.
- Medication for the discomfort–this can be a medicated cream or ointment as well as a medicated suppository for your rectum.
- Removal-through a quick procedure or surgery
Don’t suffer from the pain and discomfort of hemorrhoids. Visit Midwest Express Clinic urgent care today.
Our walk-in clinics are conveniently located in Blue Island, IL; Willowbrook, IL; Bourbonnais, IL*; Schererville, IN; Munster, IN; & Hammond, IN. We are open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; no appointment is necessary.
*Our Bourbonnais, IL location is open Mon – Fri from 9am – 5pm.
OPEN 7 DAYS A WEEK
*Bourbonnais, IL Open