WART REMOVAL TREATMENT AT MIDWEST EXPRESS CLINIC
Unfortunately, getting kissed by a frog won’t cause warts on our hands and feet. The most common cause of warts is an infection in the top layer of skin, arising from the human papillomavirus (HPV). We are not talking about the sexually transmitted infection (STI). There are many strains of HPV, and the ones that cause common warts and plantar warts are not the same as those that cause genital warts.
Common Warts, also known as Verruca vulgaris, are spread from person to person, and sometimes from an inanimate object such as a towel or gym equipment. The virus strikes those who have cuts or scrapes—anywhere the skin is broken.
The common wart may appear:
- Fleshy, grainy and small
- Colored white, pink or even tan
- Rough to the touch
- Raised above the skin, and most often round in shape
If the common wart is on the bottom of the foot, it is known as a plantar wart.
Plantar warts grow inward rather than outward like the common wart. A plantar wart is most commonly contracted through indirect transmission: Using a community shower without wearing shower shoes or sharing shoes. The most common way for children to get a plantar wart is by walking around barefoot at a playground or an indoor swimming pool.
The plantar wart may appear:
- On the bottom of the foot or at the base of the toes
- Hard and thick, where the wart has grown inward. Otherwise it appears to have a flat surface.
- May include “black seeds,” which are blood clotted vessels
Those with a plantar wart may experience pain or tenderness when walking or running.
Midwest Express Clinic wart treatment and removal
- Medication–Prescription strength salicylic acid works by removing layers of the wart little by little.
- Freezing–Cryotherapy at Midwest Express Clinic includes applying liquid nitrogen to the wart. The area may be numbed first as this method may be a little painful.
- Immune therapy–A medication that stimulates the immune system will help fight viral warts and prevent their spread.
Unless they are in the genital region, warts are not an immediate health threat. They are more of a nuisance, which is why some people prefer to have them removed. The most common reason wart sufferers seek help at Midwest Express Clinics is that they find their wart(s) to be bothersome or embarrassing.
If you want to rid yourself of warts or simply would like to consult with our medical providers in regards to common warts, visit one of our five Midwest Express locations.
We are conveniently located in Blue Island, IL.; Willowbrook, IL.; Schererville, IN.; Munster, IN; & Hammond, IN. We are open seven days a week from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.; no appointment is necessary.
*Our Hammond location is currently open Mon-Fri from 9:00 am – 7:00 pm