Celebrate National Wellness Month by Booking Your Annual Physical Exam
August is National Wellness Month, a time for patients and medical professionals to put a spotlight on the importance of self-care and healthy living. One of the best methods to ensure you are living a healthy and balanced lifestyle is to stay on top of your annual physical exams. A yearly physical exam is a great opportunity to check in on your overall health and allows you the chance to discuss any nagging medical questions or issues that you want to address with a physician.
Benefits of an annual physical
While most doctor visits are spent going over current symptoms or complications of a present medical issue, annual physicals are a preventive measure that can help you assess your overall health and even get ahead of any potential issues that could arise in the future, such as high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes. By checking your vitals, weight and bloodwork during an annual physical examination, you and your physician can properly assess the areas of your health that may need improvement, as well as the areas that are in good shape. Additionally, an annual physical can alert you about any immunizations you may need to get taken care of, as well as an opportunity to update your personal medical records.
Without annual physical checkups, certain medical issues can go unnoticed and cause more long-term issues for your health, which is why a regular annual physical exam is highly recommended for patients of all ages.
How to prepare for an annual physical
Prepare for your annual physical exam by taking these steps before coming into the clinic.
- Write down a list of questions or concerns you’d like to address with the doctor.
- Bring in a list of current medications you are taking, including over-the-counter medications.
- Jot down any changes you’ve noticed in your health since your last physical examination.
- Review your family medical history so you are ready to discuss any conditions or illnesses that you might be predisposed to.
- Call the clinic before your appointment to see if the physician needs any additional information from you or if you should fast for your bloodwork.
What to expect during an annual physical
During your annual physical exam at Midwest Express Clinic, our providers will ensure you get the most comprehensive health screening based on your age, gender and current health conditions. During your physical, you can expect:
- A detailed review of you and your family’s medical history, as well as ensuring your medication list and immunization history are up to date
- Discussion of any conditions or symptoms you are currently experiencing
- Obtaining vitals such as weight, blood pressure and heart rate
- Testing your reflexes and assessing other body systems such as the heart, eyes, stomach and lungs
- Ordering bloodwork analysis and any other laboratory tests including glucose, cholesterol, EKG and complete blood count
Book your annual physical today with Midwest Express Clinic
Midwest Express Clinic delivers focused and comprehensive care with the efficiency and ease of an urgent care provider. All MEC locations offer both walk-in and appointment options. Visit our website to find a clinic nearest you.