What to Expect During a Wellness Exam
There’s only so much you can do on your own to stay healthy and disease-free. That’s why annual wellness checkups are so important. These exams give you an accurate look at your current health and offer an opportunity to analyze your risk factors for disease and explore ways you can live healthier and longer.
Read on to learn more about the benefits of wellness exams and what to expect during your next checkup.
Benefits of a routine wellness exam
Children and adults should schedule a wellness exam every 12 months. These checkups serve as an opportunity for the doctor to gather vitals and lab work to assess your general health, and for the patient to discuss any health issues they might be experiencing. Acting on this information, physicians will order tests, make diagnoses and prescribe a course of treatment for any underlying illness.
Wellness exams also give physicians an opportunity to recommend lifestyle changes to improve your overall health. In some cases, physicians may even use the lab data collected during a wellness checkup to adjust your medications to ensure you are getting the best results.
What to expect during your exam
Your age, gender and current health conditions will help guide your physician during your wellness exam. Expect your doctor to:
- Go over your family medical history to assess any potential genetic risk for conditions including cancer, heart disease and diabetes
- Discuss personal lifestyle choices such as recreational drug use, alcohol and tobacco consumption, and sexual health, as well as take note of medications you are currently on
- Collect blood samples to analyze cholesterol, complete blood count, blood glucose and more
- Obtain vital signs including heart rate and blood pressure
- Assess body systems including the heart, lungs, nose, throat, eyes and ears
- Discuss lifestyle changes to help prevent illness and health complications
Looking to book your next wellness exam? Midwest Express Clinic offers wellness evaluations seven days a week, with walk-ins and online appointment options available to all patients. To find a clinic location nearest you, visit midwestexpressclinic.com/locations.