How To Create Healthy New Year’s Resolutions That Stick
Creating a New Year’s resolution is easy. Unfortunately, making them stick often proves challenging. Studies show that approximately 9% of Americans who make New Year’s resolutions complete them, with nearly 43% of Americans abandoning them by the end of January. Rather than set yourself up for disappointment with vague and overly ambitious New Year’s resolutions, focus on setting attainable, realistic goals that prioritize your health and wellness, without requiring drastic changes.
Read on for some helpful tips for creating healthy New Year’s resolutions and how you can ensure these lifestyle changes stay consistent throughout the year.
Step 1: Focus On Your Health
Kick off 2024 with an annual wellness exam. With 40+ locations in IL and IN, Midwest Express Clinic can start you off by assessing your health. By understanding your personal health choices, lab and diagnostic tests results, MEC can help make lifestyle recommendations and discuss your health goals.
Step 2: Break Down Your Goals into Smaller Tasks
Break down your major goal into smaller, manageable tasks. It’s much easier to follow through with smaller actionable steps rather than one big daunting task. So, if your focus is your health, start by cutting back on sugar or walking for 30 minutes daily. Once you are comfortable with these lifestyle changes, you can increase your efforts to achieve your goal.
Step 3: Keep Track Of Your Progress
Maintaining a journal or using a progress tracking app can be helpful for staying motivated and committed to your resolutions. This will allow you to see your progress, identify patterns and adjust your strategy accordingly.
Step 4: Don’t Be Too Hard On Yourself
It’s OK to have bad days. What’s important is not to let them derail your resolutions. Don’t beat yourself up if you miss a workout or indulge in your favorite dessert. Just make sure these incidents become the exception, not the rule.
Step 5: Reward Yourself
Celebrate small victories as they come along. This can be an excellent motivator to stick to your resolutions. For example, if you completed your annual check-up or have been consistent with your exercise routine for a month, treat yourself to a new pair of workout shoes or a trendy water bottle.
Healthy Habits to Implement In the New Year
Looking for some suggestions on how to improve your health in the coming year? Check out these recommended healthy habits that you should consider implementing in your daily routine in 2024.
- Exercise daily: Aiming for 30 minutes of physical activity every day can have major health benefits. In addition to weight management, regular exercise can help regulate your mood and improve your cardiovascular health.
- Eat more fruits and vegetables: Aim for at least five servings of fruits and vegetables every day. They are packed with essential vitamins and minerals necessary for your body to function and fight off disease.
- Hydrate: Aim to drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Staying hydrated is vital to regulating body temperature, maintaining proper organ function and delivering oxygen throughout the body, among other benefits.
- Reduce screen time: Make an effort to limit your screen time each day to help reduce your blue light exposure. Blue light exposure can cause headaches and eye strain and disrupt your body’s circadian rhythm, making it harder to fall asleep. It’s recommended to put away your phone and other devices an hour before bed, allowing your body’s natural sleep pattern to take effect and ensure a good night’s sleep.
- Engage in mindfulness activities: Practice mindfulness meditation or yoga to decrease stress and improve mental well-being.
New habits can help improve your overall health, but remember to protect your body – and your mind – with preventative health! Visit Midwest Express Clinic for all your healthcare needs, available seven days a week for patients of all ages. Find a clinic nearest you at http://midwestexpressclinic.com/locations.